Equipment “boneyards” near orchards provide nesting
and hiding places for rodents.
Good orchard floor management to reduce food safety risks from microbial contamination is a year-round activity. Plan to take these steps during the summer:
- Control rodents to eliminate their holes and mounds.
- Minimize rodent habitats (nesting and hiding places) near orchards, buildings or equipment yards.
- Identify and document the common and seasonal presence of wildlife near and within your orchard.
- Develop a farm policy excluding domestic-animal access to the orchard.
- Assess and mitigate any neighboring animal production operation impacts on orchard food safety.
- Prune out dead wood during summer to minimize sticks at harvest.