created by: Adapted from a recipe by cookbook author Madhur Jaffrey
Chicken Legs and Breast, cleaned, skin removed 6 lb 4 oz
Yellow Onion, fresh, medium dice ½” by ½” 6 lb 7 1/8 oz
Garlic, fresh, cloves, chopped 1 1/2 oz
Ginger Root, fresh, chopped 6 1/4 oz
Clove, whole 1/4 oz
Black Peppercorn, whole 1/2 oz
Cardamom Pods, whole 1/2 oz
Coriander, ground 3/4 tsp
Poppy Seed, whole 3 tsp
Mace, ground 3 tsp
Salt, kosher 3/4 oz
Lemon Juice, fresh, juice 3 1/4 oz
Yogurt, plain 1 lb 8 oz
Yellow Onion, fresh, medium, thin rings 6 lb 7 1/8 oz
Canola Oil 12 1/2 oz
Bay Leaf 6 ea
Black Cardamom 12 ea
Saffron, threads 2 tbsp
Milk, whole fat 3 1/8 oz
Rice, long grain 1 lb 2 3/4 oz
Golden Raisin, fried ¾ oz
Almonds, blanched, sliced ¾ oz
Eggs, hard boiled 1 lb
1) Place chopped onion, garlic, ginger root in a food processor with the spices and lemon juice.
2) Puree until a smooth paste has formed.
3) Add salt and yogurt in a large stainless steel and mix together.
4) Add onion puree and mix well.
5) Place the chicken, piercing the flesh with a fork, in the marinade for 2 hours. Store under refrigeration while marinating.
1) In a heavy bottomed large sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat.
2) Once hot, add the bay leaves and black cardamom and fry for 10 to 15 seconds or until aromatic. Add the onions and fry, constantly stirring, until brown and crisp.
3) Remove onions and drain well, reserving the bay leaves, cardamom and oil for later.
4) Place 4 pounds in to the marinade and reserve the remaining for garnish.
5) Place all the contents of the marinade into a large, heavy bottomed stock pot. Slowly bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat, simmering for 15 minutes.
6) Remove the chicken, place in a casserole dish and cover and set aside for later.
7) Turn the flame down and boil down the marinade to a paste stirring constantly. Take this paste, place over the chicken and re wrap.
1) Preheat an oven to 300°F
2) Soak the saffron in warm milk. In a large stock pot bring 2 gallons of water to a boil and add the rice.
3) Bring back to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. The rice will not cook through.
4) Strain and place the rice on top of the chicken in the casserole dish.
5) Pour the saffron and milk, decoratively if desired, over top as well as the onion flavored oil mixture and cover with aluminum foil.
6) Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven until rice is cooked through and chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°F
7) Serve family style in the platters and garnish with almonds, fried onions and hardboiled egg immediately.