created by: Almond Board of California
A lentil and spinach salad, tossed with yogurt, bulgur wheat, and almonds.
yield 4 main-dish servings.
¾ cup cracked wheat bulgur
1 cup lentils, rinsed and drained
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 ½ cups sliced onions
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into ½-inch squares
2 large cloves garlic, minced
3 cups lightly packed spinach leaves, cut into thin strips
2 tsp. (8 oz.) plain nonfat yogurt
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted*
1. In small bowl, cover bulgur with boiling water; set aside 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, combine lentils and 2 cups water.
3. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes until lentils are tender; drain.
4. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
5. Add onions; sauté 5 minutes.
6. Thoroughly drain bulgur. Mix into skillet with lentils. Cook 5 minutes, tossing occasionally.
7. Mix in spinach and dill. Cook 3 minutes, tossing occasionally.
8. Mix in yogurt; heat through.
9. Season with salt and pepper.
10.Sprinkle with almonds. Serve with additional yogurt. *To toast almonds, spread in an ungreased baking pan. Place in 350-degree oven and bake 5 to 10 minutes or until almonds are lightly brown; stir once or twice to assure even browning. Note that almonds will continue to brown slightly after removing from oven.