created by: Chef Maurad Lahlou, Kasbah Restaurant, San Rafael, CA
1 lb. Butter, melted and hot
39 Phyllo pastry sheets, trimmed to 9 x 13 inches
1 lb. Roasted Almonds (recipe follows)
½ cup Ground cinnamon
1 lb. 9 oz.Spiced Chicken (recipe follows)
1 lb. 7 oz. Egg Mixture (recipe follows)
Powdered sugar, as needed
1. To assemble and bake Pastillas: Brush 6 ½-inch heavy, ovenproof skillet with butter. Brush three phyllo sheets, and crisscross “spoke fashion” to line pan, allowing edges to hang over sides. Sprinkle with generous 1 ½ ounces Roasted Almonds and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Butter another phyllo sheet and cover almonds.
2. Top with 3 ounces Spiced Chicken and another buttered phyllo sheet.
3. Top with 2 ½ ounces Egg Mixture and another buttered phyllo sheet.
4. Repeat almond and cinnamon, Spiced Chicken, and Egg Mixture layers with buttered phyllo sheets between each layer, ending with 2 buttered phyllo sheets. Fold sheets into center. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make two more Pastillas.
5. Bake in 350-degree oven until phyllo is deep golden and crisp, about 25 minutes. Invert onto serving dish and dust generously with powdered sugar and remaining cinnamon. Serve immediately.
Roasted Almonds: In a large sauté pan over medium heat sauté 1 pound whole, blanched almonds in ¼ cup olive oil until dark golden in color, tossing frequently to prevent burning; cool. In food processor finely chop almonds. Mix in 2 tablespoons sugar. Set aside.
Spiced Chicken: In heavy pot heat 1 cup olive oil; add 2 pounds yellow onions, chopped; 1 cup chopped parsley; 6 tablespoons minced garlic; 1 tablespoon salt; 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander; 1 ½ teaspoons turmeric; 1 teaspoon white pepper and ¾ teaspoon ground ginger. Sauté until onions are translucent. Add 10 to 11 pounds chicken quarters; sauté until seared and evenly covered with spice mixture. Add 6 quarts water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 1 hour, uncovered, until chicken easily separates from bone. Remove and cool chicken. Reserve cooking liquid. Skin and bone chicken. Shred meat into bowl; add 3 cups cooking liquid and toss. Cover and set aside.
Egg Mixture: In saucepan bring cooking liquid to boil. Add 12 beaten eggs and whisk until eggs scramble. Pour entire mixture through strainer, allowing some liquid to remain in eggs to keep them moist. Cover and set aside; discard remaining broth.