created by: Chef John Csukor
As featured at the 2011 Institue of Food Technologists Conference in New Orleans
yield 60, .5 ounce portions
10 oz Honey, clover
3 oz Corn Syrup
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Bean Paste
6 oz Cream
12 oz Almonds, blanched, whole, toasted
8 oz Chocolate, Barry Callebaut, 64% , tempered
Almond Oil. as needed
1) Combine honey, corn syrup, vanilla bean paste and cream in a medium, stainless steel bowl and mix well.
2) Transfer to a heavy bottomed sauce pan and bring to a boil over high heat.
3) Boil until the mixture reaches 265°F
4) Line a quarter sheet tray with parchment and oil lightly with almond oil.
5) Once mixture has come to the proper temperature, add toasted almonds and mix well.
6) Pour out onto the parchment lined quarter sheet tray.
7) Cool at room temperature.
8) Cut into ½ oz balls and store at room temperature until needed.
9) Before serving, place a portion in a bamboo skewer and dip in tempered chocolate.
10) Dip in spices if desired.
11) Blast with a shot of cold air and serve immediately.
12) *Recommended spices and toppings: curry powder, smoked paprika and sugar, dukkah, fresh cilantro and chili, chive flowers, toasted sesame seed.